Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's been a long time...

Well it has been awhile since updated this blog hasn't it? I am now a graduate of Cal State Fullerton, living in Chico with my family. I am currently working part-time at the Greenfeet.com website. I have the Staff Accountant responsible for all of the accounting for the company. It is a tremendous opportunity that I found on a whim. Searching Craigslist.com one day in May I decided to browse the jobs available. I ran across this advertisement for a part-time accounting position that looked to fit me quite well. I figured it couldn't hurt to send a resume and cover letter and see if I could at least get an interview, and some interviewing experience.

A few days after my sister's wedding in May I received a phone call for an interview. Proud to have even received an interview, I went with no expectations except that I would probably not be getting this job. The interview spanned over my education, experience, and a specific focus on the work I did with the entrepreneurship program at CSUF. The interview even included a small exam at the end. I left feeling upbeat, and happy to have another interview under my belt.

Two days later I received a call asking me to come back out to the Greenfeet office. At this point, I was asked how I felt about the position after a few days of thinking about it. Then to my utter surprise, I was offered the position. As I am a month into the position, I am beginning to realize what an incredible opportunity this is for me. Instead of spending a year or two working in a single division of an accounting office, I'm learning most aspects of accounting with hands on experience. During my first two weeks of work I was trained to the level of the employee I was replacing. The next two weeks yielded much excitement as I was asked to take on additional responsibilities that include creating, running, and interpreting a variety of reports. My analysis of these reports has the potential to add value to the company in a tangible way. I am excited to apply the lessons I learned working with small businesses at CSUF and see what I can bring to the table at Greenfeet.com.

I am thrilled at the prospect of this position, and excited to see how it pans out as the economy rebounds and the company continues to grow. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity.

Until next time.

No comments: